Show Harwich Sailings
Built in the 13th century, the Port of Harwich sits at the crossroads between the River Orwell and River Stour, on the East Coast of England. The harbor was created by a storm surge in the 12th century, which gave Harwich its roots in maritime history. Famed as the launching place for several voyages of explorers like John Hawkins, Francis Drake, and Martin Frobisher during the Elizabethan era, it is also the port in which the Mayflower was built and birthplace of its captain. It is now an important passenger ferry port and an embarkation port for cruises. History buffs will love exploring the rich heritage in Harwich.
Things to Do
- Old Harwich- Wander through the historic buildings and museums. Walk the Harwich Maritime Heritage Trail to explore the rich naval history of the town, starting at Ha'Penny Pier, the UK’s only surviving and working wooden piers. Take in the uncrowded, port-like atmosphere of the relaxing town.
- Dovercourt Bay- Just outside Harwich, this is a resort area with pristine beaches and a long promenade for strolling. Go shopping on high street, enjoy boating on the lake, or visit the Hamford Water National Nature Reserve.
The Tower Hotel
Address:Main Rd, Harwich CO12 3PJ, UK
Phone: +44 1255 504952
1.8 miles from Cruise Terminal
Pier Hotel Harwich
Address: The Quay, Harwich CO12 3HH, UK
Phone: +44 1255 241212
2.5 miles from Cruise Terminal
- Check out Firstsite, a contemporary art gallery, housed in a golden building, which is a piece of contemporary architecture itself. The gallery offers an often changing visual arts experience through exhibitions, films, performances, and lots of hands on activities for all different age groups.
- Just outside of Harwich, visit Audley House, a Jacobean mansion house transformed from an abbey to a private residence starting in the 17th century. History lovers will enjoy touring the mansion house itself, see a reconstructions of the Victorian nursery, the servant’s wing, along with a Victorian stable yard complete with riding displays, and then stroll through the opulent historical gardens.
- The whole family will love a visit to the Harwich Redoubt, a Napoleonic era fort built in 1808. It is the largest ancient monument in the UK and is currently being restored. The fort functions as a museum and kids will love seeing replica firearms and battle re-enactments that bring history alive.
- Take the kids to Colchester Castle, the largest ever built by the Normans around 1076. Now a museum, kids will love the augmented reality app that interacts with the museum exhibits that shows videos, and even a 360 degree view of a medieval banquet and other features. Plus, there will be plenty of hands-on activities for kids to learn about Norman and Roman history from building a Norman archway, to excavating a Roman grave, plus there is an interactive chariot ride. Make sure to book in advance!
Harwich & Parkeston F.C.
The Royal Oak Ground: Main Rd, Harwich CO12 4AA, United Kingdom
Harwich International Port
Harwich Essex, CO12 4SR
How It Works
Vacationing has never been easier or cheaper with the help of a dedicated travel consultant from AffordableTours.com
Find your perfect trip on our website and simply request a free quote. Need to speak to a live person? Call us 7 days a week at 1-800-627-3753. No robots here!
Dedicated Travel Consultant
Your personal travel consultant will reach out and be your point of contact for your entire travel experience from start to finish. Did we mention you'll be working with an award winning team? Sweet!
Lowest Price Guaranteed
Because we're one of the largest sellers of travel, we're able to give you a discount on your vacation package. No one beats our prices!
Stress Free Travel
Knowing you got the best deal, all that's left is for you to pack your bags and enjoy your vacation!